I made this post on FB about it:
I was surprised by the overwhelming "Way to go!" response to the post. I understand why everyone says that--we have not let our children dictate what is appropriate; we are teaching them the importance of taking care of their stuff.
But I am truly sad that we had to do it. I am sad that our kiddos don't understand that it is not okay to leave a huge mess in one room just to go make a giant mess in another room. I am sad that they have to learn this lesson the hard way. I don't like to feel like parenting is a power struggle. I don't feel like the Hubby and I have won. I actually feel like somehow we have failed. Is our routine not "routine" enough? Are we somehow setting a bad example? Where did we go wrong??
3 comments:
i do not think you are setting a bad example. sometimes kids just don't get it and the only way for them to "get it" is to have consequences for their actions. i understand you may feel bad or guilty or like you and anthony made a mistake and that is why your kids act that way, but that is not the case. kids are gonna be kids. and it is better that they learn this now rather than later. what you did is engraining into your children that if they do not follow instructions there are consequences. you guys are GREAT parents and do not ever doubt that! love you!
Ditto to what Rachel said.
Thank you for your support, ladies. Sometimes it is really hard to be the parent, but I am hopeful that this incident will help them remember in the future to take us a bit more seriously.
Post a Comment